re SGI (was RE: [SunRescue] 5 major manufacturers?)

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Sep 28 02:00:42 CDT 2000

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   An R5K/180 is very zippy...If memory serves, the R4600 was developed
> as a lower-cost version of the R4400...an R4400/200 is also a nice
> zippy processor.
>
>   To go upward from there, you'd need to move to an Indigo2 (*NOTHING*
> like the crappy original Indigos) which can go all the way to an
> R10000/180 and possibly higher.

On a side-note here; the Indigo2 R10k/180 isn't half the speed of an
Octane R10k/175. Why is that?
Crappy bus, crappy bandwidth. The Indigo2 just isn't made for those kind
of CPUs, while the Octane is. Almost as putting R10k in an O2...
(All of these are from my own personal experience with these machines,
and a quick look at SPECmarks)

Octanes (SI and SSI models or ever MXI?) should drop to a more
reasonable pricelevel, now when both second (SE, SSE and MXE) and third
(Vpro V6 & V8) generation graphics are out. Also, R10k 175MHz should be
cheaper now since R12k (300MHz and up) has made its debut...

	/Bjorn