[SunRescue] SS2 usefulness (waz: 5 major manufacturers?)

dave at cca.orgdave dave at cca.orgdave
Wed Sep 27 18:29:04 CDT 2000

bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu writes:

>>   Several years ago, the SS2 was a very viable desktop workstation.
>> They're still capable of the same work today as they were back then.
>> Just because faster systems exist doesn't mean the SS2 has somehow
>> magically gotten slower.

>Hey, I still run an SS1 as a end-of-the-line web/ftp server.
>It floats OpenBSD, and is solid as a rock with 4HD's.  Netscraping
>the web is... s l o o o o w, but usable in a pinch.  As a server,
>it does fine.  Since I am only on a 10mb net here, it is plenty
>fast to keep up.

The SS2 is my standard "embedded unix box" now. If I have to set
up a demo somewhere, or do a computer graphics art installation,
there will be an SS2 buried in there somewhere, driving everything.
(I'm going to be setting up a six-terminal BSD "hunt" fest for
some friends this weekend. Should be fun.)

You don't really want to do intensive X on an SS2, but mild X, or
network services, are fine. The only drawback for me, is that
sbus cards are so expensive used that it's hard to justify as a
firewall.

-------- David Fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
"Beauty is only skin-deep. It's what's underneath that really matters."
                                             - traditional cannibal saying