[SunRescue] 5 major manufacturers?

BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 16:21:01 CDT 2000

>From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SunRescue] 5 major manufacturers?
>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
>

>   I don't see anything wrong with pushing 3 different OSs, really.

the problem with pushing 3 different OSs, is that each one requires a
development team, testers, software to be maintained etc. in short, they all
require resources that are finite for any company, not least of which being
money. in companies where this is going on (ibm, sgi etc.) these teams tend
to vie politically for the lion's share of these resources which tends to
produce a fluctuation in support for the varios OSs. this in turn is not
entirely encouraging to most consumers, but also forces them many times to
make decisions they should not have to make. while there shouldn't be
anything wrong with a multi-platform environment, this is not something that
any business strives for. most businesses will go to surprising lengths to
stay with a single vendor in order to realize a return on their investments
in support staff and end user training etc. this is one reason why sun does
so well. all of their hardware (except the very ill-fated javastations) runs
solaris. they developed the ultrapenguin linux kernel, and they don't have a
problem with you running it, but they did this as a convenience to their
user community, and after turning it over to the open source community they
no longer devote significant (AFAIK) development resources to it. you also
need to take into account mindshare. a companie's OS is a very significant
part of their identity, especially for those who don't really understand
what it is, but all too often are the ones paying for the product.

-wu