[SunRescue] SS2 usefulness (waz: 5 major manufacturers?)

BSDBobtheoldgreybeadBSDfreakbobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu BSDBobtheoldgreybeadBSDfreakbobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 27 15:16:39 CDT 2000

>   Several years ago, the SS2 was a very viable desktop workstation.
> They're still capable of the same work today as they were back then.
> Just because faster systems exist doesn't mean the SS2 has somehow
> magically gotten slower.

Hey, I still run an SS1 as a end-of-the-line web/ftp server.
It floats OpenBSD, and is solid as a rock with 4HD's.  Netscraping
the web is... s l o o o o w, but usable in a pinch.  As a server,
it does fine.  Since I am only on a 10mb net here, it is plenty
fast to keep up.

>   Put it up and give it a shot...you won't be disappointed.

Go for it!

Bob