[SunRescue] SS2 usefulness (waz: 5 major manufacturers?)

Creaseysammy at oh.verio.com Creaseysammy at oh.verio.com
Wed Sep 27 14:24:46 CDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Stou Sandalski wrote:

> Yea I see your point... is the SS2 fast enough to run those services? I have
> one... and when I first got it, it had SunOS 4.1.1, then I killed that and
> tried to put OpenBSD on it... one thing I noticed was that the SS2 was
> sooooo slow, surely something must be wrong with it... I mean when you type
> ls it would print out one line at a time like one of them old skool
> hollywood representations of a military super comptuer.... it would take
> like 3 - 5 minutes to fill the screen with the directory listing... and when
> it was downloading the OpenBSD files from one of my other systems (on a 10BT
> net), it was like downloading slower then a modem... is this really how
> these machines run or is it just me? My orignal intent was to make it a
> telnet server for my friends to play with remotely... but would it be fast
> enough for that?

FWIW, I have a sun 3/60 here running web/mail/dns/ftp/etc....
(linux 2.4.0-test7) file transfer is fairly slow (being limited by the
3/60's hideous scsi performance, and where slow is defined as something
around 140k/s), but at the low load that server takes it's more than
accceptable for me...   an SS2 should do just fine.  but I do advise
heartily against using the machine's console for anything at all
unless in linux.  the sun prom framebuffer console is the most hideously
slow thing I've ever seen.

now, the time it takes to compile all of the damn daemons on a 20mhz m68k
is not something I like to remember....

-- Sam

"UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT
Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS."
	-- Robert E. McElwaine