[SunRescue] OT: PC recommendations

BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Sep 27 09:35:14 CDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:24:13AM -0400, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> I'll toss my hat in the PPro 200 ring as well. It's the CPU that the world
> overlooked. I have two such systems, one single, one dual, and they run
> like bats out of hell. A big contributor to that fact is that the L2 cache
> is on-die and therefore runs at core speed. PPro 200s generally outperform
> P2-333s and even P2-400s sometimes for that reason. You don't get MMX, but
> who needs that on a real computer anyway? You can regularly find processors
> and motherboards from surplus dealers like Computer Geeks
> (http://www.compgeeks.com) and Computer Surplus Outlet
> (http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com) for next-to-nothing. Beware that the
> CPU will not take a standard Pentium heatsink/fan so you need to buy
> PPro-specific cooling devices. Also, they suck power (about 9A of 5V per
> CPU), so you should have at least a 250W power supply; 300W would be safer.

PPro systems are/were nice; my main box up until I built a Celeron-300
system (which was then "appropriated" by my SO, saying "you dont need two
computers, Ill take yours, and we'll give mine to my dad") was a PPro 150
system that I'd overclocked to 180, with 128mb RAM, etc.

Any idea what motherboard these $89 systems have?  I actually used to be
able to play Unreal and Half-Life on the PPro in *software* mode, even...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford * KD5LQR
  mrbill at mrbill.net