[SunRescue] OT: PC recommendations

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Sep 27 07:24:13 CDT 2000

At 08:09 AM 9/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, if your needs are not too demanding, the $89 PPro 200 systems from
>PCFriends.com in Pittsburgh, PA might be an option. SCSI-based, includes a
>Plextor CD-ROM and drive sleds for the removable HD tray are only $10/ea.
>
>RAM is cheap, HDs are cheap, and a PPro 200 is a very decent CPU for most
>desktop needs (remember PPro is really a PII core CPU, with cache size/speed
>differences).

I'll toss my hat in the PPro 200 ring as well. It's the CPU that the world
overlooked. I have two such systems, one single, one dual, and they run
like bats out of hell. A big contributor to that fact is that the L2 cache
is on-die and therefore runs at core speed. PPro 200s generally outperform
P2-333s and even P2-400s sometimes for that reason. You don't get MMX, but
who needs that on a real computer anyway? You can regularly find processors
and motherboards from surplus dealers like Computer Geeks
(http://www.compgeeks.com) and Computer Surplus Outlet
(http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com) for next-to-nothing. Beware that the
CPU will not take a standard Pentium heatsink/fan so you need to buy
PPro-specific cooling devices. Also, they suck power (about 9A of 5V per
CPU), so you should have at least a 250W power supply; 300W would be safer.