[SunRescue] OT: PC recommendations

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Sep 26 21:54:27 CDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:58:17PM -0700, Cyrus M. Reed wrote:
> I will second the Anti-Gateway motion.  Here at my university all they buy
> now are Gateway machines through some exclusive contract deal.  I believe
> the techincal term for the quality of a Gateway system is "crap".  The
> cases are cheap (and I have seen the plate over the fan outlet trick on a
> number of machines), the keyboards are cheaper (the shift keys work about
> 50% of the time, lots of fun when you have to work with case sensitive
> OSes), and probably the only decent thing you will find in the case is the
> motherboard, which is usually OEMed by Intel (though with the later
> boards, that last point could be up for debate).  In any case, if you have
> to get an OEM box, do yourself a favor and get an IBM/Compaq/Dell;
> probably in that order.  Just my $.02.
> -Cyrus

Oh, I *wont* be getting a Gateway - had a horrible experience trying tot
buy a laptop for my girlfriend from them.  (one of their "refurbished" units).

I qualified for the financing through MBNA/gateway, put in the order, etc.

3 weeks later.  No laptop.  Called up.  "Oh, that order hasnt been filled
yet.  It wiwll be on Friday."

Called up a week later. "Oh, that order wont be filled for the next 2
weeks."

I told them to shove their order, and since the loan from MBNA allowed me
to write checks off of it, I went, used the gateway loan, and bought a
Toshiba Libretto. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford * KD5LQR