[SunRescue] Extra Hd

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Sep 18 20:24:41 CDT 2000

A few answers...

The output from OpenBoot would be helpful - that would tell us the target
the new HD is actually set to, since SCSI ID 1 doesn't appear to be working.

CD-ROMs for Sun systems are typically set to SCSI ID #6, then you can
typically issue a command like 'boot cdrom' from the OK> prompt to run the
Red Hat installer (same for Solaris).

RedHat Linux labels hard drives as letters starting with the first drive it
finds, your SCSI ID HD would be sda, than the pre-existing HD on SCSI ID 3
would be sdb. If you were to later add a drive as SCSI ID 2, then Red Hat
Linux would map the drives as SCSI ID 1 would be sda, SCSI ID 2 would be
sdb, and the SCSI ID HD would be sdc - any links to mount filesystems on
SCSI ID 3 would break, and need to be fixed.

HTH,

Ken