[SunRescue] parts I'm parting with!

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 15 06:38:28 CDT 2000

At 11:26 PM 9/14/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey folks!
>
>I posted an inventory before, but earlier tonight some folks
>were asking about parts I still haven't been able to give away :^)

<snip>

>. 21" SGI Monitor (GDM-20D11) Works pretty swell.

<snip>

>WANTED PARTS:

<snip>

>. 21" Sun monitor

With a little soldering, I have successfully modified my 20D11 to work with
Suns, and if you're willing to do the same, you can turn that SGI monitor
into the Sun monitor you're looking for.

Since the 20D11 expects sync-on-green, what you have to do is connect the
separate sync pin used by Sun (and others) to the sync separator circuit.
This is as simple as soldering in one resistor on the input board at the
back of the monitor. The connector on the monitor conveniently has all pins
soldered to the PCB even though most of them aren't used. I can open mine
up again if you want and give you specific instructions on what I did. And
yes, it works with both Suns and SGIs after the mod, though you have to use
Sun or SGI cables as appropriate. And no, it still won't work with a PC, I
suspect because of the limited sync range, or maybe my HD15-to-13W3 adapter
is bad.

I don't remember the sync range of the 20D11, but I have tested my modified
one with a stock Indy and a stock SS2+cg6, and it works great.

--Adam