[SunRescue] Encrypted file systems?

Tom tom at nipltd.com
Wed Sep 13 05:42:57 CDT 2000

Linux has pretty robust support for encrypted file systems - however, I'm
trying to see if Solaris has anything similar?

I'm under NDA, so I have to be careful what I say :-) but let's imagine you
have some portable UltraSparc based machines ;-) let's also imagine that you
have some PCMCIA hard drives, that contain sensitive data.

Now, under Linux, I could create an encrypted volume (as a single file) on
that PCMCIA drive, and then, once the drive itself has been mounted, I could
mount the encrypted volume (having entered the approprite pass phrase, and
having the proper access to the right keys).

Anyone done something similar under Solaris? The trick, as I can see it (and I
may be wrong) is that Linux has kernel support for encryption algorithms that
are used by the loopback device when creating the encrypted volume.

How does Solaris deal with that? Would you need kernel support, or can the
loopback device support different cyphers directly?

As you can see, I'm a bit at sea on this one ;-) Any help is *really*
gratefully recieved...

Thanks,
TOM

Tom Kranz - tom at nipltd.com
Systems Administrator, New Information Paradigms Ltd.
My opinions are my own, not NIP's, and not my cat's.