[SunRescue] Solaris 8

Brian McCloskey checkinmystyle at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:27:31 CDT 2000

if anything, the 64 bit kernel for linux should be faster and more reliable
than the 32 bit sparc linux kernel. as i mentioned, sun wrote the 64 bit
kernel and it has been stable for some time. the only people i personally
know of who are running linux on ultrasparc hardware in a production
environment are running the 64 bit kernel and have had 0 issues with it as
such.

while you mention that all of the user space software is 32 bit, if you are
referring to open source software, gcc still will not build a 64 bit binary
for ultrasparc as far as i know, but if you are running solaris and have the
sun cc compiler, you can compile any of the open source software for your
platform as a 64 bit binary.

i believe that the memory model in solaris 7 and 8 has the potential to be a
better system than linux, but solaris will require more hardware before it
is able to perform at its best than linux will, and you do not have the
ability to tune your kernel (e.g. rebuild) the way you do in linux. also,
there is some sun hardware (not much, but some) that is not yet supported
under linux. most of this unsupported software on the ultrasparc systems
falls in to the realm of an assortment of sound chipsets on some
workstations, and the parallel ports on a couple machines. usually not a big
deal, but it might behoove you to check out red hat's supported sun hardware
since they use the 64 ultrasparc kernel in their 6.2 distribution.

-wu