[SunRescue] Solaris 8

John F. Davis davis at skink.net
Mon Sep 11 12:00:04 CDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 04:42:56PM +0000, Brian McCloskey wrote:
> thats kind of an arbitrary question and not easy to answer without defining
> some kind of metric.

As a general OS goes, which will be faster, solaris or linux.

> also, what are you referring to as the "working free kernels"? if you mean
> linux, the ultraSPARC kernel is most definitely 64bit and was written by
> sun. i believe the bsd kernel for ultraSPARC is also 64bit. if you're
> talking about intel, its all 32bit obviously.

>From what I understand, the sparc64 port is still not ready for prime time.
Whereas the 32-bit port works like a champ. Furthermore, all of userspace code
in Linux/BSD is 32 bits.  I don't know if that is the case or not in
Solaris.

So given a faster kernel, but the same 32 apps will Solaris apps run faster
than the comparable linux apps.  Or, to put it bluntly, will Staroffice run
faster on a Solaris Ultra than a Linux Ultra?   Will the JVM run faster?
etc.

I'm sorry if I was unclear.  I'm getting a new Ultra and I want to know if
it would be better to run Solaris or stick with Linux.  Up to now, I have
only run Linux or BSD on all my Sparc boxes. But, then again, I've never
owned a new Sparc box.  All my experience has been with 5's, 10's, and
LX's.

John