[SunRescue] Backup questions...

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Sat Sep 2 10:57:22 CDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Hebel" <druaga at pmail.net>
To: "Rescue at Sunhelp. Org" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 12:50 PM
Subject: [SunRescue] Backup questions...

> What I wouldn't give for a 1tb tape library! ;-)

Personally, I really like the way AT&T has approaced file storage in their
Plan 9 OS - they have thin clients, and file servers that have huge RAM,
backed by lots of disk, backed by an optical storage jukebox. As files age,
they go from RAM to disk (short time), then each night an incremental backup
is made to the optical jukebox. The key is that only one copy of each file
ever exists, except for working copies loaded into RAM for temporary usage.

The optical jukebox is not that big, but they have found that programmers do
not generate *that* much code in a given day ;^)

Ken