[SunRescue] Help with ancient SunOS

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 30 15:49:52 CST 2000

> > Solaris 1.1.2 is *not* ancient!  Take that back! :-)
>
> When it includes sendmail 5 and a C compiler that doesn't understand ANSI
> C I'll call it ancient :)

Bleah.  When you started on 3.0 on Sun-2, 4.1.x is "modern".  (Actually, I
still have nightmares about loading 4.0 onto sun-2's using 20M tapes...

> It's actually not so bad, once I got some modern software on it :)

Sed, grep, awk... is there anything else needed? :-)

> > This is actually a FAQ quesation somewhere.  Pre SunOS 5, Sun required NIS
> > for DNS.
>
> Yes, I found that in a FAQ, but the fix (install NIS) didn't help me any,
> and there weren't any directions on how to fix the libraries.

I did some surfing - it's in the Sunmanagers FAQ,
http://www.latech.edu/sunmanfaq.html look at article 3.2.  I have the
complete procedure at home, but it's been hectic, I havn't had a chance to
get there yet.

> I eventually fixed it - during the install instructions for BIND4, I ran
> across instructions on how to replace resolver in the Sun-supplied shared
> and static libraries with the BIND4 resolver.

The good news it that the fix does work - I know of systems I did in '93
still working fine.

_pete