[SunRescue] Help with ancient SunOS

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 22:40:53 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> I just recently aquired Solaris 1.1.2 to put on my IPX.  After installing
> the OS and compiling a bunch of crap (you never realize how much you rely
> on bash until you're without it), I have two questions:
>
> 1) I access the console through ttya - I have no Sun monitors or
>    keyboards.  Obvously, this thing will drop to the PROM the instant I
>    unhook the serial cable.  Are there any fixes for SunOS 4.1.4 that will

No, it won't.  You will only drop to the firmware when the system believes
it has received a serial break, and the "modern" SparcStations handle the
disconnection of a serial console just fine.

> 2) For some reason, I can't perform DNS name lookups with the native
>    resolver libraries.  The DNS server is Linux with BIND 8.2.2p7.  A
>    tcpdump gives me this:

Yes, it's an incompatability.  No, Sun won't fix it.  Running BIND 4 as a
caching server locally will solve it.

-James