[SunRescue] Sparcplug question

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 19:33:39 CST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 nick at snowman.net wrote:

> Are sm81's faster/nicer than 100mhz hypersparcs?  As I understand it
> they're very comparable, only 20mhz faster, and probably with less cache
> (sm81 has 1meg right?).

SM81's are far faster.  They run at 85MHz and have 3-way issue versus the
2-way issue of HyperSparc, so they have over a 25% edge in clock rates.
The cache is larger (most 100MHz Hypers are 256KB or 512KB).  Internal
cache is twice as large and is physical rather than virtual (gives some
improvement under heavy context switching).  16x as many hardware
contexts.

SpecINT92 shows the SM81's to be roughly 30% faster than the 100MHz/256KB
Hypers.

-James