[SunRescue] freeing free frag (?!?)

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 10:50:58 CST 2000

[first post to this list...hope it's OK]

I have an SS20 running Solaris 2.7 with all "recommended and
security" patches applied.  Over the last few days, I've had four
random crashes which result in a kernel panic "freeing free frag"
message.  The system halts, the error comes up in console mode,
dumps core to /var/crash and then reboots.  When it comes up again,
fsck finds errors, of course, but repairs them with no apparent
problem.

Any clue as to what is going on?  This machine used to be perfectly
stable, until one of the two Quantum (Sun OEM) 4gig drives died
and I replaced it with a 9gig IBM drive (the usual dump/replace
drive/ format/newfs routine) shortly before the random crashes
started happening.

I'd be grateful for any advice/suggestions/etc.  Should I be looking
for something specific in the crash dump files?

Thanks.

- Scott