[SunRescue] come closer and let me pick your brain.

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 27 13:38:26 CST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Mike Hebel wrote:

> The IPX takes standard 72-pin parity SIMMS.  (36 bit)  Most SIMMS of 70ns or

It will also accept 33-bit parity (1 bit per word) SIMMs.  Most 72-pin
SIMMs shipped by Sun were 33-bit.

> better will work.  Yes it takes a standard SCSI II hard drive without a
> problem.  The only issue that I know of is that the root partition of any OS
> on the drive must be in the first 2gig of the drive or the system will not
> boot from it.  Later PROM versions fixed this but YMMV.   The "dial"s are

This restriction exists for all pre-Ultras (except for machines with very
OBP code which are limited to 1GB).

> >>	4. This is the bigge I am curious about. He had 3 or 4 Sun Mass
> >>Storage cases in the Shop. 3' by 3' by 3' cubes. Obviously sun gear but I
> >>was unfamiliar with them, what are they? Should I make an offer on one ,
> >>what should be in them? If this some sort of drive array system?

These probably hold up to 8 5.25" FH drives each if they are the SCSI
version, in 2 trays of 4 each.  If you need something like that (or if
they're loaded with disks) then they're fairly nice, otherwise they're
boat anchors.  Open the front cover and check them out.

-James