[SunRescue] SparcServer 670/MP O.S. Options / VME Support?

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 09:06:26 CST 2000

on 11/22/00 0:16, Mike Nicewonger at twmaster at twmaster.com wrote:

>> So, Sun just started dropping OS support for the products that were
> reaching
>> EOSL.  The last release that supported the 4/600 series was 2.5.1.  Sol  8
>> is the end for the 10 and I believe the LX/Classic and the Voyager. Or was
>> that 7?  I know I have 8 on a 10, but...
>
> VME support indeed died in 2.5.1, however Sun has killed the 4c (IPC, IPX,
> SS2 etc) support in Sol. 8. I heard they were going to kill 4m (SS10, LX,
> SS5, etc) and 4d (SS1000, SC2000) in the next major release of Solaris.

O.K., now that it's morning and I'm awake...

You are correct.  7 was the last release for the 4c.  8 is def. the final
release for the Classic, LX, and 10... However, the 4/5/20 have not gone
into EOSL yet.  I am not "officially" sure what the answer is for them.

As for 4d... Hmmm.... It would be interesting.  AFAIK, the Cray SuperServer
6400 is 4d6, but that stopped at 2.5.1 or 2.6.  Wonder if the 4d *is* going
away in 9...

> One cool item to note about the 4/600, it has all three common buses. VME,
> S-bus and M-bus

But not my personal fave, Multibus. :-)  (I still have scars on my hands
from working Multibus Sun-2's in the mid 80's.)

-Pete