[SunRescue] SparcServer 670/MP O.S. Options / VME Support?

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 01:36:33 CST 2000

--MS_Mac_OE_3057694594_7213579_MIME_Part

on 11/21/00 22:51, Gaspar Gonzalez at Gaspar_Gonzalez at hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I have another question: (VME Architecture)
   I understand that Solaris 8 or 7 are not supporting VME. I'm not sure
what are the implications; It won't use the other 3 processors ? or
the OS  won't see the other board with more memory ? or won't see the
internal Hard drives?  (I know it requires a tweak during startup)

I'm learning, could you elaborate on "VME Support"? (I've been trying to
learn and understand about VME but so far I still don't get it)

I found this link that according to Sun they're still supporting 4m unless
the 670 is the exception:
Solaris 2.6 System Administrator Collection Vol 1  >>  Information Library
for Solaris 2.6 (SPARC Platform Edition)

Let's see if I can help ease your discomfort.  Usually, when Sun EOL's (End
Of Life's) a product, there is a 5-year period before EOSL (End Of Service
Life).  EOSL is usually when they stop supporting it in the OS, as well as
on service contracts. (There have been exceptions, but I can't go there.)

Now, usually they just kill a whole arch - for example, all the Sun-2
(68010, Multibus & VME), Sun-3/3x (68020/030, VME) Sun-4 (SPARC VME), Sun 4c
(SPARC, Sbus) (sigh...).

But the 4m's posed a problem - they span the gamut - the 4/600 series, the
Classic/LX, the 4, 5, 10, and 20 (As well as my beloved voyager)...

So, Sun just started dropping OS support for the products that were reaching
EOSL.  The last release that supported the 4/600 series was 2.5.1.  Sol  8
is the end for the 10 and I believe the LX/Classic and the Voyager. Or was
that 7?  I know I have 8 on a 10, but...

In any event, for your purposes, the support for the VME bus ended in 2.5.1.
The VME bus is how your various system component communicate over a common
backplane.  Actually, VME is still used (especially in the embedded
markets), but not at Sun.  So, devices that are VME-specific are no longer
supported in 2.6 and up.

There is some device overlap (there were Sbus slots for the 4/600 series),
but you are limited to 2.5.1, not a bad thing.  2.5.1 is a great version of
Solaris - just Y2K patch it and go!  I know of a few E10000 sites out there
still running 2.5.1...

HTH,

-Pete

----------------------
Peter L. Wargo / pwargo at basenji.com
owner/operator of basenji.com
340 Cypress Crest Terrace
Escondido, CA 92025

--MS_Mac_OE_3057694594_7213579_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [SunRescue] SparcServer 670/MP O.S. Options / VME Support?</TITL=

</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 11/21/00 22:51, Gaspar Gonzalez at Gaspar_Gonzalez at hotmail.com wrote:<BR=

<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks everyone for your comm=
ents. <BR>
I have another question: (VME Architecture)<BR>
    I understand that Solaris 8 or 7 are not supporting VME.=
 I'm not sure what are the implications; It won't use the other 3 processors=
 ? or <BR>
the OS  won't see the other board with more memory ? or won't see the =
internal Hard drives?  (I know it requires a tweak during startup)<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I'm learning, could you elaborate on &quo=
t;VME Support"? (I've been trying to learn and understand about VME but=
 so far I still don't get it)<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I found this link that according to Sun t=
hey're still supporting 4m unless the 670 is the exception:<BR>
Solaris 2.6 System Administrator Collection Vol 1  >>  Info=
rmation Library for Solaris 2.6 (SPARC Platform Edition)  <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
Let's see if I can help ease your discomfort.  Usually, when Sun EOL's=
 (End Of Life's) a product, there is a 5-year period before EOSL (End Of Ser=
vice Life).  EOSL is usually when they stop supporting it in the OS, as=
 well as on service contracts. (There have been exceptions, but I can't go t=
here.)<BR>
<BR>
Now, usually they just kill a whole arch - for example, all the Sun-2 (6801=
0, Multibus & VME), Sun-3/3x (68020/030, VME) Sun-4 (SPARC VME), Sun 4c =
(SPARC, Sbus) (sigh...).<BR>
<BR>
But the 4m's posed a problem - they span the gamut - the 4/600 series, the =
Classic/LX, the 4, 5, 10, and 20 (As well as my beloved voyager)...<BR>
<BR>
So, Sun just started dropping OS support for the products that were reachin=
g EOSL.  The last release that supported the 4/600 series was 2.5.1. &n=
bsp;Sol  8 is the end for the 10 and I believe the LX/Classic and the V=
oyager. Or was that 7?  I know I have 8 on a 10, but...<BR>
<BR>
In any event, for your purposes, the support for the VME bus ended in 2.5.1=
.  The VME bus is how your various system component communicate over a =
common backplane.  Actually, VME is still used (especially in the embed=
ded markets), but not at Sun.  So, devices that are VME-specific are no=
 longer supported in 2.6 and up.<BR>
<BR>
There is some device overlap (there were Sbus slots for the 4/600 series), =
but you are limited to 2.5.1, not a bad thing.  2.5.1 is a great versio=
n of Solaris - just Y2K patch it and go!  I know of a few E10000 sites =
out there still running 2.5.1...<BR>
<BR>
HTH,<BR>
<BR>
-Pete<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>----------------------<BR>
Peter L. Wargo / pwargo at basenji.com<BR>
owner/operator of basenji.com<BR>
340 Cypress Crest Terrace<BR>
Escondido, CA 92025<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3057694594_7213579_MIME_Part--