[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Assigning a second IP address

Mike Hebel drone8of9 at crosswinds.net
Thu Nov 16 16:00:25 CST 2000

>>   This is similar to something that I saw a lot of a few years ago: "I
>>want to put a few pages up on the web, will I need two CPUs or four?" A
lot
>>of people seem to seriously overestimate the resource requirements for
>>Internet services. Maybe it's because the only configurations you hear
much
>>about are the big ones at big sites (e.g. eBay) where they're skating on
>>the thin edge of the feasible. Anyway, I had fun telling people that the
>>master website for the Sun Hardware Reference was a 2/120.

This mentality of "hardware excess" comes from the PC industry wanting to
sell faster and bigger machines before people can even use what they have.
(IMHO it causes sloppy coding too - too easy to use all the resources
available rather than what is necessary.  Try that on most _real_ platforms
and you'll get spanked and quickly.)

'Course if we're going to talk about this we probably want to move it to the
RANTS list. ;-)

>>   I'd really like to get the 2/120's going again... I also want to crank
>>up some Minix-based PC/XT's as webservers too. :>

Talk to the guy that runs www.obsolyte.com - he used to run on an IPC (I
think he stopped that because he was Slashdotted once although that may be a
rumor. ;-)  He may have some pre-made scripts and stuff that would make your
life easier.

Me, I'll be happy if I can get DSL in my house with speakeasy.  Then I'll
finally be able to activate my cheezy domain and have my _own_ mail server
that I can POP/SMTP without having to worry about it going away unless I
want it to. I hate that. :-(

Mike Hebel