[SunRescue] heat problems in an SS20

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 15 21:30:54 CST 2000

I'll assume you have done all the obvious things:

    Blow the dust bunnies out of all vents/orficces - a $5 can of air can be
    wise investment!

    You are sure all three fans are running, not just installed, right?

    You keep the SS/20 in a reasonably well ventilated room (remember,
    these units were designed for office/data center installations, both of
    which have very narrow temperature tolerances (don't get too hot,
    don't get too cold).

    Do you have a small desktop-type fan to keep the air in the *room*
    circulating? My den, with 2xPC, SS/20 and SPARCbook, along with
    an occasionaly powered-up laser printer has a nice big cieling fan, that
    I leave on it's middle setting ( a noticible breeze at times). Oh, and
    never a heat problem...

Aside from the above, what framebuffer are you running, they can run
very hot too...

Oh, and those aren't barracuda drives are they - those are famous for
producing heat...

HTH,

Ken