[SunRescue] RE: chg subj. 4004's and nc mills

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 11 13:10:19 CST 2000

Paper tape readers are *simple* to make, assuming you have a steady arm...

All you need are 8-10 light sensors, patch them through a preprogrammed
EPROM as the address, and the 8 bit ASCII character set falls out the other
side as the data from the EEPROM.

There is a sprocket/alignment hole that runs down the middle of the tape, a
hole there would provide a "strobe line" to indicate a new character is
available.

As you pull the paper tape through, it will pass over the light sensors,
indicating the character punched on the tape - a steady hand would be
required.

HTH,

Ken
(Who would love to get an old teletype model 33 w/keyboard & paper
punch/read. Unix on a paper terminal would be a real experience! It would
give me a chance to learn the "ed" editor!)

(This is based on recollections from late 70's BYTE articles, as well as Don
Lancaster's TVT Cookbook (TVT = TeleVision Terminal, a terminal that output
composite video and used a small number of parts, less than 10 ICs IIRC) -
not actual experience.)