[SunRescue] Re: OT - DECstation memory??

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 8 00:32:59 CST 2000

On November 7, dave at cca.org wrote:
> No, but - I've looked inside a couple of decstations recently, and some
> looked like they took normal simms, and some looked like they took
> weird proprietary memory cards (not quite as weird as vaxstation 3100
> memory, but nonstandard). Anyone know what the deal with those is?

  The DECstation 2100/3100 and 5000/1xx machines take 80-pin SIMMs
that, at first glance, strongly resemble standard 72-pin SIMMs.  They
predate the 72-pin standard, though, and are wholly incompatible.
They come in 2mb and 8mb flavors.

  The DECstation 5000/2xx machines take larger "boards" (look like
hugely overgrown SIMMs) which come in 8mb and 32mb flavors.

           -Dave McGuire