[SunRescue] Re: Big Red Button

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 7 21:15:00 CST 2000

n2vip at bellatlantic.net writes:

>From: "Michael Thompson" <m_thompson at ids.net>

>> I didn't have to push the Big Red Button myself. We had a false fire alarm
>> when I was alone in the computer room in the wee hours of the morning. The
>> firemen bashed down the glass front door to the building, kicked in the
>> computer room door, and pushed the Big Red Button. It killed the
>> motor-generators, filled the room full of Halon, and put a stop to my
>> operating system test. They weren't apologetic at all.

>That is the *one* time Corp. Security could have earned their pay!

That reminds me - does anyone have the real story on that Cray (C-90?)
at what-used-to-be-the-NCAR-but-is-something-else-now that maybe
caught on fire, maybe was destroyed by over-zealous firemen, maybe
wasn't really damaged that badly?  I've heard vague conflicting
reports.

-------- david fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
---------- never let reason stand in the way of self-confidence ----------