[SunRescue] WTB: Sparc LX? Canada?

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 6 19:27:38 CST 2000

On Monday, November 06, 2000 4:21 PM, Alan Robinson
[SMTP:urgretor at netscape.net] wrote:

> I was able to pick up a clean LX (48MB ram 1 gig HD) at a hamfest for $5
> (US)
> this past summer. I didn't expect it to work, but when I turned it on,
> Solaris
> came right up. It goes to show that there are bargains out there,
> especially
> if you look outside of the normal Sun distribution channels. Hamfests are
> fleamarkets for ham radio and computer gear. Most of the computer stuff
> that
> you will find are ancient PCs, but Sun equipment can be found, especially
> at
> the larger ones.

Yeppers.  I got my LX at the Dayton Hamvention in '99, though I paid a bit
more than you did for yours.  This past summer, I bought 4 ea. 411 cases,
each with a working 1-gig drive, a Sun speaker box for the LX, an ISA-bus
'486 SBC, and a knapsack-full of other computer junk for $60 or so.  Most of
the Sun stuff there was either _WAY_ overpriced ($150 for a bare SS10 base?
 I think not.) or busted.

Still, a good time was had by all....

-Shel