[SunRescue] Re: Ancient History

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 5 18:56:03 CST 2000

david at datashadow.net writes:

>Myself:
>o  First exposed to APL on one of the first DEC timesharing machine in
>Bethesda MD circa 1977.

PDP-10?

>o  College was a DEC-PDP 11/70. Best memory: toggling in the boot-strap
>code on the front panel switches (just for fun).

Ah, 11/70s have fantastic front panels! I need to aquire an 11/45
or an 11/70 at some point. (I'll have to move to a new house first,
but...)

I love the trick of having your shutdown procedure write your bootstrap
code to a specific location of core, then halt for power-down. Power-up,
jump to said location, and away you go!

-------- david fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
---------- never let reason stand in the way of self-confidence ----------