[SunRescue] WTB: Sparc LX? Canada?

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 4 08:21:55 CST 2000

The main thing you get by changing from an IPX to an LX is that Solaris 8
doesn't support the IPX's architecture, but does support the LX's.
 Obviously, this isn't a factor if you run one of the BSDs.

I have one of each, and, frankly, though the LX's specs are much better, it
doesn't feel that faster than the IPX, even with 128 MB of RAM in the LX
versus the 64 in the IPX.  A little faster, yes.  A lot faster?  No.

I expect that if you want a real speed increase, you need to go for
something like an SS5 or SS10.  Or, as someone else pointed out, a lunchbox
with one of the Cycle 5 upgrades.  Those seem to be very rare, though.

Also, the 80 ns RAM from the IPX is not the right spec for the LX, as the LX
family wants 60 ns RAM.  I have used the ram out of my IPX in my LX, and it
worked, but I don't think would I depend on it working in the long term.

It's too bad Sun abandoned the "lunchbox" form factor after the LX.  I like
those little boxes....

-Shel