[SunRescue] Re: UK Viewers

P.A.Osborne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 3 05:30:51 CST 2000

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 03:01:44AM -0800, kebabthesheep wrote:
> That sucks quite a bit.  I tend to pull them out of
> skips, or get given them by computer support guys :)

I go for the approach:  since I have just lugged it out of the rack
to be decommissioned I may as well ensure it gets to the skip...

Hence the SS10 with 96MB RAM on my desk...  just waiting to free
up another SS10 so I can fleece the CPU and memory for the first,  and
keep the chassis/mobo/psu for spares.

:-)

> Neither did I - maybe that's because they DON'T!  Our
> purchasing dept, aren't exactly, well, competent.

I can see it at PC World right now,
pcworld person " you want what, a Sun, OK I will get on to our suppliers
		shouldnt take more than a few days".
later that day
pcworld person "Hello is that Compaq?  Ah good  dont suppose you can get
   		me a Sun Ultra 5 could you"
compaq person  "yeah no worries"  cracks up with giggles
pcworld person "cool I will tell our customer it wont be more than a
		few days"
compaq person  "yeah thats right just a few days"  titter titter titter

Sorry but I did have to wonder.

:-)

> They couldn't order a sun, even if WE told them where
> to get it - they have to use their own stupid
> procedures, and anything even slightly unusual is just
> impossible.  Come on - they had to use a credit card
> to order us a 'high-end' PC from dabs, but they
> sheepishly told us WEEKS later, it wouldn't be coming,
> in fact dabs refused to ship it, because they
> OVERSPENT their credit limit!  (we just got it last
> week, after a two month wait.)

Oh,  thats not so good - if anything a tad embarrassing.

Got my eye on an SS1000 that was traded back to Sun three years
ago and that no one from Sun want to collect - wonder if I should
get the nod from my boss to erm send it on to Sun.

Paul