[SunRescue] What drives will fit in ss5?

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Mon May 29 01:42:21 CDT 2000

bobk wrote:

> Hi guys,
>  I have an ss5 board sitting in an ss4 case, and I am wondering if the
> 18.2GB hitachi drives on hitechcafe.com will fit and work in this thing.
> They say the drives are 1.6" high. I'd try to measure the clearance but I
> haven't got a mounting bracket yet (anyone got one cheap?)

Only 1" high drives will fit into your SS5.

Incase you'd be willing to sacrifice the second harddrive connector, you
can remove the SCA-connector on that backplane, along with all pins that
might be sticking out.
Ofcourse you render the backplane worthless for dual-drive operation,
but atleast you can run your 1.6" drive with a charm.

Oh, and remove the handle on the mounting bracket. You will have a quite
difficult time trying to fit it with a 1.6" drive. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn