[SunRescue] SS1000 questions...

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu May 25 01:44:00 CDT 2000

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 system boards for my SS1000, thus have 4 MBus slots.
>
> 2 of those slots are filled with either 40 or 50Mhz CPUs.  Both are on the
> first system board.
>
> If I get two more CPUs to fit on the second board, do they have to be the
> same speed, or can they be different speeds from the CPUs on the first board
> (like SM81's which run at 85Mhz)?

A rule-of-thumb on the SS1000(E) is to always fill it up with equal
CPUs.
If you can't find an 'E' on the front, and you're sure that these are
either SM41 or SM51, you have the "usual SS1000" model. That one, along
with the SC2000, had only a 40MHz XDBus/Mbus just like the SS10.
As you might suspect, the 'E'-models had a 50MHz XDBus/Mbus, and
therefore ran SM61 and SM81, like the SS20.

All in all, Check what kind of CPU's you have, then check the
appropriate partnumber on your second board, just to make sure you
didn't got an 'E'-model. (Cause if you do, you can't run it in your
SS1000)

Remember also that you need SMx1, models with e-cache. It won't work
with cache-less SM40 or SM50.

	/Regards, Bjorn