[SunRescue] 3/60 toy today.... now what to run on it?????

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Fri May 19 15:27:39 CDT 2000

>1.  What are the usual ram configs for a 3/60?  4M comes to mind but
>    I think there were other setups.

   Anywhere from 4M to 24M in 4M increments of 1M 30-pin parity SIMMs,
100ns or faster. Nine-chip SIMMs seem to work more consistently than
three-chippers.

>2.  What would be a usable os to run on it, if it only has 4M ram?
>    I have SunOS 3.5, 4.1.1U1, and 4.1.3, plus NetBSD 1.4.1, 1.4.2
>    (and can dredge up some 1.3 things, maybe, too).

   NetBSD 1.4 is running on my 3/60's. SunOS 4.1.1 was pretty good, too.

>3.  Anyting strange in getting a 3/60 up?  I have 3/160, 3/260,
>    and 4/260 crates, but those are all the big vme deskside crates
>    with somewhat different setups compared to the 3/60, AFIK.

   The 3/60 is a lot easier, because the onboard si works as expected,
unlike the VME ones.

>4.  Where would one find any on-line docs pertaining to specifically
>    the 3/60 settings as to any jumpers, switches, odd prom commands,
>    etc?  None of my docs cover the 3/60 specifically.

   There's only one jumper block, and it's labelled pretty well. There's
six positions used to indicate the memory size, one for AUI/coax, and one
sets the onboard bwtwo (if present) to normal or high resolution.

   If you're going to run it diskless, you want to crank the memory way up.
I have a pair of 4M 3/50's with disks and they do OK for light use. On the
other hand, I have an 8M diskless 3/50 (third-party expansion board) and it
has real troubles. Doing a "ps -aux" saturates the network for several
minutes.

   --James B.