[SunRescue] 3/60 toy today.... now what to run on it?????

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri May 19 12:13:06 CDT 2000

Whilst perusing the bilges of the local MooU surplus pit, I manages across
a fine and complete 3/60 pizzabox thingie.  Also, for a couple of buckeroos
I pickued up a pair of disk drives and tape transport in an old Data General
peripherial thing that might be usable.  Assuming my scsi tape is still
functional, or I can sub something, what might folks suggest to run on such
a fine ancient old dinosaur?  Previous expeditions have yielded the right
keyboard and mouse and mouse pad and a shoebox with scsi cable, and
a faint mono monitor, so I think enough is there to actually make the
thing play.  At most it has cost me about 10 bucks, which is OK for
a playtoy.

1.  What are the usual ram configs for a 3/60?  4M comes to mind but
    I think there were other setups.

2.  What would be a usable os to run on it, if it only has 4M ram?
    I have SunOS 3.5, 4.1.1U1, and 4.1.3, plus NetBSD 1.4.1, 1.4.2
    (and can dredge up some 1.3 things, maybe, too).

3.  Anyting strange in getting a 3/60 up?  I have 3/160, 3/260,
    and 4/260 crates, but those are all the big vme deskside crates
    with somewhat different setups compared to the 3/60, AFIK.

4.  Where would one find any on-line docs pertaining to specifically
    the 3/60 settings as to any jumpers, switches, odd prom commands,
    etc?  None of my docs cover the 3/60 specifically.

5.  Will it run a 150mb tape, or only a 60mb tape?  Memory says it needs
    a late prom to handle a 150mb tape, but I am not sure.

Thanks

Bob