[SunRescue] External case w/4MM tape unit

Eric Ozrelic erico at bendcable.com
Fri May 19 00:48:06 CDT 2000

Hi everyone,

    I recently aquired a Sun 411 case with a 4MM tape backup drive. I hooked
it up to my trusty SSLX running the newest install of NetBSD. The dmesg
output
looks good for this device and reports:

st0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, Python 28454-XXX, 4.44> SCSI2
1/sequential removable
st0: density code 0x8c, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled

Now I just need to see if it works correctly. I have a few 2/4GB tapes
laying around
and I would like to see if this thing actually works. What I need to know is
how do I
check to see what size this tape drive is, how do I format new tapes, how do
I read/write
to this tape, etc... Do I need some specialized tape backup software or can
I just mount
the device and pretend it's a disk?

If anyone can give me a lead on where to find information on this, or can
just give me a few
hints it would be great.

Thanks in advance....

Regards,