[SunRescue] Stubborn Seagate 9.1gb Barracuda -- won't format. Help!

Kris Kirby kris at hiwaay.net
Mon May 15 13:46:04 CDT 2000

Stefan Hames wrote:

> >If it's vibrating, it sounds likely to be a bad drive.
> >Do you know what the ID is set to?
> >
> >Make sure it's not on ID 7.
>
> Hmmm. I thought that Sun SCA drives got their ID from the backplane
> on SparcStation 5s.   As far as I remember there are no jumpers
> installed . I'm not at my office; I'll check when I go in.  However,
> it seems have an id of 3 set, which is as it should be for the first
> drive on the backplane, I think.
>
> >Sounds like it's not initializing correctly, thus it's reporting it's not
> >ready.

IIRC, a Seagate Barricuda will refuse the format command unless it's
SCSI ID has been set to zero. Something to thing about when setting up
your servers....

root:barricuda: {9} camcontrol devlist
<SEAGATE ST34572N 0784>            at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<SEAGATE ST39173N 5698>            at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<SANYO CRD-254S 1.01>              at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,cd0)
<COMPAQ CD-ROM CR-503BCQ 1.1i>     at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass3,cd1)
<IBM DDRS-39130W S98H>             at scbus0 target 8 lun 0 (pass4,da2)

-----
<kris at nospam.hiwaay.net>    |