[SunRescue] SunOS

David Murphy drjolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed May 10 20:45:47 CDT 2000

Quoting <3918753D.CBB97FA2 at dsres.com>
by Martin Frost <martin at dsres.com>:

> James Lockwood wrote:
>
> > Sun already considers it "dead" for the most part, the only patches that
> > are being made available for it are for show-stopping problems.  The same
> > treatment that is being given to Solaris 2 license-wise would be welcome.
> > They're not making any money off of new software sales, you can't even buy
> > SunOS 4 from Sun.
>
> I'd also like them to do a similar thing for 2.5.1. It just seems so
> much more solid than any more recent version (only just ordered 8,
> though). Mind you, the full set of patches would be several CDs in
> their own right...

...and besides, 2.5.1, like any other version of solaris, is only as
good as your patch set - I can well remember panicing a 2.5.1 machine
which was a fileserver for an entire building with the
setup_install_server shell script (hsfs bug) 8)

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."