[SunRescue] SunOS

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue May 9 15:29:49 CDT 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> Sun already considers it "dead" for the most part, the only patches that
> are being made available for it are for show-stopping problems.  The same
> treatment that is being given to Solaris 2 license-wise would be welcome.
> They're not making any money off of new software sales, you can't even buy
> SunOS 4 from Sun.

I'd also like them to do a similar thing for 2.5.1. It just seems so
much more solid than any more recent version (only just ordered 8,
though). Mind you, the full set of patches would be several CDs in
their own right...

What would be the best, though, would be for them to do what DEC did
with Ultrix, and release the full source for SunOS 4 to the Unix
Preservation Society, so anyone with a 32V source licence could
get source. I'm not sure how much of the 10th Edition/SysV stuff in
SunOS 4 was done by Sun, though. If that was AT&T's, then there
would be problems.

Has anyone ever asked them about things like this? Does anyone
have any useful contacts?

--m