[SunRescue] Sun 3/50 and SLC

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 7 21:15:10 CDT 2000

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 02:56:35PM -0600, Liam Stewart wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've come into possession of two old Suns: a 3/50 and an SLC. I've got
> some knowledge of Unix (primarily Linux), but this is the first
> opportunity that I've had to really play around with Suns. My goal with
> these two computers is to turn them into (hopefully) useful pieces of
> equipment (they're sitting in my basement right now doing nothing).
> The 3/50 has no tape drive. I wanted to do an installation of NetBSD onto
> it or turn it into an X-terminal, but i've run into a little problem. I've
> hooked up to my home LAN, but the ethernet on it seems to be quite flaky;
> there's massive packet loss. I've ruled out the tranciever, interference,
> and the hub so the problem has come down to the actual ethernet hardware
> in the box unless I've missed something. Is there way to fix/replace it?

Its not worth fixing; for around $20-25, you can pick up a barebones
SPARCstation 1 thats much faster.

> As for the SLC, I don't have anything except the monitor part (no keyboard
> or anything). Is it possible to turn this guy into an X-terminal or
> something similar? What kind of Sun keyboards will work with the SLC?

Any Sun Type 4/5/6 keyboard will work with the SLC just fine; all you need
for a complete system is to plug in external SCSI HD and CD-ROM.  The SLC
is basically a SPARCstation 1+.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |