[SunRescue] SCA drives...

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu May 4 03:48:40 CDT 2000

Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> I've convinced my boss to improve the disk space on a Sparc 5 we use
> as a "demo" machines and test bed.  Hi-Tech Warehouse has 18G SCSI-SCA
> drives for under $300.
>
> Of course, the acquisitions person called our sun reseller who said we
> can't do that and need to go extternal for a drive that big.  With a
> $1400 price tag.
>
> I'm just basically looking for confirmation that there isn't a problem
> with putting an 18G SCA drive in a sparc 5 (we have the brackets necessary)

Sounds like you're getting a brand new drive for that price, which leads
me to the fact that this 18G drive is a low-profile model, which would
fit just fine in a SS5. I know our IBM Ultrastar 18ES drives are all
low-profile (one inch) thick, but the again the "early" Quantum Atlas IV
18G and 36G (currently relabeled to RZ1xx-xx by Compaq) are all
Half-Height.

The heat shouldn't be a problem on this pecker, even if it's a 18G
drive. Technology has been pushing the limits down on friction, motors
and other things, so this drive probably won't be much hotter than any
other (newer) drive in the same size... (comparing to *ptwiee* IDE-ATA
drives)
Ofcourse the HH (Half-Height) drives tend to get hot, very hot, as with
all first generation harddrives.

So, check out that drive, especially look up the model number of the
drive and check for the manufacturers data on it. Should wipe out any
doubts available.
However, I haven't taken any Solaris issue into consideration here, so
you'd have to check that out for yourself. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn