[SunRescue] SCA drives...

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Wed May 3 17:50:16 CDT 2000

I am concerend about heat, but we really need to understand how your
system is used to give a real answer:

    Is it left on 24x7 or just for 4 - 8 hour demos?

    Are you planning on one drive or two?

    Are these half-height or low-profile?

    What is the speed of the drive - 5000 RPM, 7200 RPM or higher?

    What speed is the CPU in the SS5?

    What other SBUS cards are you running (incl. framebuffer)?

The real question is this - how hot does your system get now, and how
much hotter will it get after you add this drive?

I have 2x4Gig HDs in my SS5/70, but it is a rather baren box (only a TGX
frame bufffer, may be adding a SCSI/Ethernet card), but it is only left on
occasionally. I did smoke test it by letting it run for 96+ hours and the air
exiting the case seemed a little warm, not overly hot (IMHO)... But these
are 5400 RPM drives.

External cases are not that expensive, and I don't think your clients will find

two pieces (SS5 and ext. drive) offensive/complex.

One other thought - one 18 Gig HD is probably *much* better than 2x9 Gig
HDs - the heat is a function of the motors, not the storage capacity...

HTH,

Ken
n2vip at bellatlantic.net