[SunRescue] Ultra 5 Mem issues

Daniel Debow Southwick southwick at gibralter.net
Tue May 30 11:41:11 CDT 2000

Ok here's a good one, I've never bumped into this one. I had 4 128MB
168pin dimms that came off of a AXi Ultra sparc mainboard all the exact
same. I attempted to replace the dimms currenly in my ultra 5 ( 2x 64MB )
with the ones from the AXi mainboard. Here's where it gets wierd. I place
all 4 if the 128MB dimms into the proper slots ( or I assume ) the 2 64MB
dimms are removed. The boot prom reads that I have 1024MB of ram. At
first I was quite happy that the dimms were incorrectly labeled, and I
now had a GB of memory. But behold I get kernel panics as soon as the
login window appears ( sometimes even before then ). I brought back the
memory to the AXi board and they register as 128 meg dimms not 256 as my
ultra 5 reads them. I've tested them and there appears to not be any flaws
in the dimms. Is there a incompatiblity issue here? ??? The dimms I've
removed are 60ns and the ones I'm putting in are 60ns. I'd also like to
know if a PROM update might help. I can't remember my prom code so that
doesn't help much. But if you can think of something it would be a great
help. I'd just love to get this thing working with 512MB of ram.

Thanks

Dan
I read Dilbert daily, often understanding the humor