[SunRescue] sparc 5 memory ?= sparc 20 memory

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Mon May 22 11:02:25 CDT 2000

I thought James said that you could run it in some of the BIG machines, if
you cut a small notch it there so that it would fit in the slot.  Maybe I'm
halucinating again, who knows...

> Generally, SPARC 20 memory (with 60ns timing) will work on everything
> from SPARC 10 through Ultra 1, Ultra 2 and possibly forward. SPARC 10
> memory (with 70ns timing) will only work on SPARC 10, although if your
> SPARC 10 happend to be equipped with 60ns memory modules, you
> can reuse
> these on 20's, U1's and forward.
>
> Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but the SPARC 10 can't run with 32MB
> modules?
> Only 16MB and 64MB, whereas all the other can run 16MB, 32MB and 64MB.

That sounds right to me, although I suspect that it's another one of those
deals where it doesn't really work, but sometimes does.  I don't have a 10,
so I can't play around with it myself.
	Greg

P.S. if this comes in a weird character set, it's not my fault! :-)