[SunRescue] 3/60 toy today.... now what to run on it?????

Sam Creasey sammy at oh.verio.com
Sat May 20 15:12:09 CDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, BSD Bob wrote:

> 2.  What would be a usable os to run on it, if it only has 4M ram?
>     I have SunOS 3.5, 4.1.1U1, and 4.1.3, plus NetBSD 1.4.1, 1.4.2
>     (and can dredge up some 1.3 things, maybe, too).

Now, I'm totally biased here, but if you can dredge up the ram (16 megs
I'd recommend) and have time to play, Linux does run on it. :)  (and only
the 3/60 and 3/50, probably...)  1x9 simms are usually trivial ti find
though...  calling 2 friends got me 16 more megs form ine in about 10
minutes...

> 3.  Anyting strange in getting a 3/60 up?  I have 3/160, 3/260,
>     and 4/260 crates, but those are all the big vme deskside crates
>     with somewhat different setups compared to the 3/60, AFIK.

The NetBSD install on it is entirely straightforward, I installed it NFS
root with no problems.   Never tried a disk install of netbsd on it,
though...   Linux is a pain in the ass to install, there being no
installer of any sort...   (and I don't really know, having rolled the
distribution while building the binaries for my 3/60).

> 4.  Where would one find any on-line docs pertaining to specifically
>     the 3/60 settings as to any jumpers, switches, odd prom commands,
>     etc?  None of my docs cover the 3/60 specifically.

They're labelled pretty clearly.   For memeory selection, jumper all of
the blocks up to the amount of memory you have...  the HIGHRES jumper is
to select the resoultion for the bwtwo (1152x864 vs 1600x1200, I think).
EXTXVR (I think) selects AUI port for ethernet when jumpered, BNC when
not.

"UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT
Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS."
	-- Robert E. McElwaine