[SunRescue] /etc/path_to_inst

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Wed May 10 01:27:14 CDT 2000

I knew I had forgotten some details regarding /etc/path_to_inst WRT moving
a boot disk from one architecture to another. Following is an old saved
post, which covers what I left out.

>From: Casper.Dik at Holland.Sun.Com (Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.hardware,aus.computers.sun,alt.sys.sun
>Subject: Re: SS-LX to SS-20 upgrade - how to modify devices, etc. + Q on CPU's
>Date: 1 Nov 1998 13:43:18 GMT
>aus.computers.sun:4270 alt.sys.sun:13038
>
>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]
>
>cdewick at lios.apana.org.au (Craig Dewick) writes:
>
> >I know that I can do that with SunOS 4.x, however I'm running SunOS 5.6 (aka
> >Solaris 2.6), so the problem is a more difficult one to solve. I know
> >someone here in Sydney that has done it, but I can't for the life of me find
> >where I saved her email about how to do it!
>
>The biggest problem is when you have / and /usr and/or /var split over
>multiple
>fielsystems.  Singel user boot (w/ -r) will work, but you can't mount
>any filesystems because the device tree is shot.  You can't regenerate the
>device tree unless you can mount /usr (and you may require /var also)
>
>echo '#path_to_inst_bootstrap_1" > /etc/path_to_inst
>
>followed by a "boot -r" may get you somewhere;
>but if you can't mount /usr, you're toast.
>
>Casper
>--
>Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
>to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
>Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
>be fiction rather than truth.

Paul Theodoropoulos | paul at atgi.net | Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Internet Services Div. | Advanced TelCom Group Inc. | Santa Rosa, CA US