[SunRescue] Booting from CDROM on a Sparcstation IPX

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue May 9 20:59:10 CDT 2000

Tom Yarrish wrote:

> Okay, I've switched the SCSI ID of the CDROM to 6, and the machine
> boots up to a different prompt.

With `b' or with `b sd(0,6,2)' ?

> During the startup it tries to mount /dev/sd3gon /usr, but errors out
> with a No such device or address.

Sounds like you're booting off the hard disk, but it was originally
configured with external disks as well, which are either missing or
have the wrong SCSI IDs. If you're going to wipe everything, don't
worry about this.

> Then it says fsck: No such file or directory - Unknown error in reboot
> fsck. Then I get a big warning message about how the file systems have
> not been remounted read/write and I have to run fsck and then boot into
> single user mode.  Then I get a # prompt, in which I can basically do
> nothing.

This is all just it booting into SunOS, but with important disks missing
(because they were originally external or suchlike).

> Now there's nothing on this system I need to keep, I'm going to wipe
> out the drives anyway, but I want to boot of the CDROM to install Debian.
> It looks like it sees all the devices I have connected (I'm assuming that
> esp0 refers to external scsi peripheral or something).

esp0 is the first SCSI controller.

If you want to see if it's found all the devices, get it to the
`b for boot, ...' prompt, and type `n'. That will get you to an
`ok' prompt. Then type `probe-scsi-all', which will print out
a list of all the SCSI devices found.

>From the `ok' prompt you may find that `boot cdrom' will work.
Otherwise, do a `b sd(0,6,2)' from the `b for boot, ...' prompt,
as Bill suggested.

--m