[SunRescue] Re: Moving system disk between machines

David Murphy drjolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu May 4 13:58:21 CDT 2000

Quoting <200005041604.RAA19603 at brian.psc>
by Chris Powell <Chris_Powell at mitel.com>:

> This and the boot -r trick looks like it'll do the job splendidly.

> I was tinkering yesterday evening by using drvconfig -r /a/devices
> (after booting from CDROM and mounting the root partition on /a)
> to create the correct device files. This worked OK, except it didn't
> update the all important (as I now realise) /etc/path_to_inst file
> (and moaned that it couldn't do so). I couldn't figure out how to
> force path_to_inst to get updated, so I used sed to change all the
> hardware addresses over to the SS10 :)

> Oh well, if things were always push-button easy, they wouldn't be
> half as interesting!

An alternative might be to use something like the following, which has
got me out of a couple of messy situations [1].

1. Copy the two files /etc/path_to_inst and /etc/path_to_inst.old to
/var/tmp and remove the originals.

2. Boot with "boot -ar", accepting the default parameters, and
answering "yes" to regenerate the path_to_inst file.

3. Shutdown to an OK prompt (init 0) and boot from CDROM with the
"boot cdrom -s" command.

4. Mount the root filesystem from the primary disk onto /a

5. Change into the /dev directory on the CD and copy the device links
across to the root file system "cd /dev | find . -print | cpio -pdvnum
/a/dev"

[1] Like reconfiguring an Ultra 10 with mirrored disks so that each
disk was on a different IDE channel - disks on the same channel both
become inaccessible if the master fails.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."