[SunRescue] Re: Moving system disk between machines

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Thu May 4 11:04:26 CDT 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000 18:39:21 -0700 (PDT), Taren wrote:

> Anytime you change (add/remove) hardware from a system it's necessary to
> run boot -r (or if you want to use reboot, read the man page) so that the
> system can rebuild the correct devices.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about boot-flags other than -s!

On Wed, 03 May 2000 20:10:47 -0700, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:

> Yes and no. If you are adding/removing external scsi devices on a running
> system - such as a cdrom drive , or a new tape drive, or what-have-you -
> you don't have to reboot. You can simply run the triad of
>
> drvconfig && devlinks && disks
>
> or for tape devices,
>
> drvconfig && devlinks && tapes
>
> that'll configure the /etc/path_to_inst file, create the appropriate device
> entries and links, and you should be able to rock and roll without a
> reboot. If you've added or changed the configuration info for a driver,
> such as the sd disk drive or st tape driver, you may need to force a
> refresh on the loadable kernel module by unloading the active instance -

This and the boot -r trick looks like it'll do the job splendidly.

I was tinkering yesterday evening by using drvconfig -r /a/devices
(after booting from CDROM and mounting the root partition on /a)
to create the correct device files. This worked OK, except it didn't
update the all important (as I now realise) /etc/path_to_inst file
(and moaned that it couldn't do so). I couldn't figure out how to
force path_to_inst to get updated, so I used sed to change all the
hardware addresses over to the SS10 :)

Oh well, if things were always push-button easy, they wouldn't be
half as interesting!

Thanks.

Chris.