[SunRescue] Moving system disk between machines

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Wed May 3 22:10:47 CDT 2000

Yes and no. If you are adding/removing external scsi devices on a running
system - such as a cdrom drive , or a new tape drive, or what-have-you -
you don't have to reboot. You can simply run the triad of

drvconfig && devlinks && disks

or for tape devices,

drvconfig && devlinks && tapes

that'll configure the /etc/path_to_inst file, create the appropriate device
entries and links, and you should be able to rock and roll without a
reboot. If you've added or changed the configuration info for a driver,
such as the sd disk drive or st tape driver, you may need to force a
refresh on the loadable kernel module by unloading the active instance -

   root % modinfo | grep scsi

    20 1017f2bc   7af2   -   1  scsi (SCSI Bus Utility Routines)
    71 1023bafc  12b28  32   1  sd (SCSI Disk Driver 1.299)
    75 1024c67c   cc65  50   1  glm (GLM SCSI HBA Driver 1.129.)
    95 102a961c  110a6  33   1  st (SCSI tape Driver 1.191)

in this case, if I was trying a new tape driver, I'd run

   root % modunload -i 95

The module will then be reload with the new configuration/device info after
the device is first accessed.

Now, all that granted, when you're talking about moving a boot disk from
one architecture system to another, it's a whole nuther ball of wax. boot
-r will not necessarily do the right thing, particularly with the crucial
/etc/path_to_inst file, which may have entirely incorrect instance entries
for the new hardware. What may work is to rename /etc/path_to_inst to, say,
/etc/Xpath_to_inst (or /etc/path_to_inst.old, whatever you like really),
then do a boot -ra. The 'a' flag forces the system to ask you what to do
each during each step of the boot process. In this case, you'd accept the
default for everything, and be sure that when it asks you if you want to
rebuild the /etc/path_to_inst file, that you answer 'y'. That'll likely do
the trick.

Sorry for the verbosity!