[SunRescue] Dim Monitors (WAS: What exactly is a Sun 4/25 ?)

Jeff Borisch borisch.4 at osu.edu
Tue May 2 22:17:06 CDT 2000

I hope this is more or less on topic.
I am very interested in learing how to identify if a monitor that has a
degraded picture is worth working on and trying to fix. This especially
true with the fixed frequency stuff that can be hard to come by or
workstations that are hard to get working with your garden variety svga
screen.

I have a NeXT meagpixel monitor that is exceptionally dim. For obvious
reasons I want to get this working to play with its accompanying Cube.

With the hood off I can see access holes to some pots. There are labels
such as focus, horz cent, and the like. These are pretty obvious what
they do. There is one called white point which I tweaked a bit and it
made the picture a bit brighter. I was afraid to go further because of
what iv'e heard about generating x-rays. For example, there is a pot
labelled cutoff... cutoff what?!

Regarding replacing caps and such, is there a good source of information
regarding testing circuits and the simpler components like capacitors and
transistors.

I know enough how not to get myself killed. Breaking equipment is another
story.

best regards,
jeffrey